Wednesday 30 September 2009

Pisa Cathedral- Table Design




Apologies for the bad quality photos- I figured they were better than nothing. During my recent holiday in Italy, I was very aware that we were not to collect 'holiday snaps' for our blog. The design of this table in the Pisa Cathedral interested me though- two marble carved angels holding up one slab of marble to create the Alter table. The design intrigued me, as there were no extra legs to support the table, and the two angels were carved differently making it more difficult to create a balanced structure- the mathematics that must have gone into the design of this table must have been so accurate so ensure a level table with sturdy support. The carvings of the two angels were also beautifully done, adding character to the piece, and an alternative and more modern design to interior of the Cathedral that surrounded to table.

No comments:

Post a Comment