Tuesday 1 September 2009

Dr. Gunther von Hagens

My previous post on Damien Hirst brought up a discussion between my sister and I about artists who dissect animals and plants for their artwork. She showed me a catalogue from an exhibition she went to on Dr. Gunther von Hagens' work, which I know she has researched and studies quite a bit. I've never really taken much notice of his work before, as I didn't really want to see dissected and stripped human bodies, but some of the ones shes showed me were artistically presented in various ways, using a range of techniques. I also feel strangely more comfortable about his work than I do with Damien Hirst's, as I know all the people he uses have signed up and volunteered for their bodies to be used once they have died. I also spoke to my housemate who is a medic, about Dr. Gunther von Hagens' work, and he was very in interested in seeing some. My sister said that the exhibition attracted a lot of medic students interested in the dissections, as well as art lovers- I think it's great how he's managed to add this unique take on art, and attract many different audiences.

One of his techniques is also interesting, as he injects their blood streams with plastic based material, allowing it to take the form of the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment